*For confidentiality purposes, I will not be using the girls' names. Thus, the frequent use of asterisks*
A quieter, slower day today. We arrived at DH 1 and sat with Sanda in her office for a bit, all the while making sketches of plans for the rest of the week. Ashley and I sat at the table, making detailed additions to the activities we want to do with the girls; I think we were really concentrated, because I remember looking up and all of a sudden lunch was set up and the girls started sitting around us. What I'm really loving about this place is each girl's ability to feel like part of a family there--they call their house moms "Mami" and "Mamicuta" and other such endearing names.
After lunch, we headed over to DH2 for a birthday party for Ghita (house dad for DH2) and Diana (psychiatrist/psychologist). We sang "La Multi Ani" and ate gustari and cake. Everything immediately slowed down even more, and for the rest of the time, we sat watching a Bollywood film with some of the girls. So, no big discoveries or deep conversations today, but I tried to find sweetness in that time. I don't think we need major breakthroughs every day to have a memorable internship. Today, we sat. We ate party food. We watched sappy Indian movies. We hardly talked. But it was good we were there. It was good that Ashley and I were on either side of A***** listening to her "aww" and burst out laughing during the movie. It was good to give dear, sweet E**** a hug today and help with the dishes. It was good to smell roses in the back seat with S*****. Every hello and smile today was worth it, just being there is enough sometimes.

No comments:
Post a Comment